Today I decided to post a recipe of a twist on one of my favorite cake, Castella. Castella is basically a japanese sponge cake made with egg, sugar, flour and sirup or in this case honey. These cupcakes are really moist and actually pretty easy to make. I decided to top the cupcakes with just some whipping cream and some homemade honeycomb. (*°▽°*)
Prep time: 25 min. Makes: 24 cakes.
♡ 4 eggs
♡ 100g sugar
♡ 40g honey
♡ 1 tsp vanilla extract
♡ 120g cake flour
♡ 3 tbsp milk
♡ 30g butter
Frosting and Honeycomb:
♡ Whipping cream + Honey to taste
♡ 1 and 1/4 tbsp Honey
♡ 2 and 1/2 tbsp Sugar
♡ 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Measure out and get the ingredients that you need ready.
2. Separate the egg white and egg yolk. Then beat the egg white till it forms a foamy consistency then gradually add 60g of sugar in small steps. Until it formes soft peaks.
4. In a separate bowl with the egg yolks add the rest of the sugar, vanilla extract and honey.
Then mix it until it turns into a pale yellow color.
5. Ad a little of the egg white/ meringue into the egg yolk mixture to “introduce” it. This is an important step to make the fluffy airy meringue, and keep the mixture fluffy.
6. Gently fold in the rest of the meringue mixture.
7. Fold in the flour. Careful to not over mix and break the air.
8. Line your cupcake tins.ヽ(・∀・)ﾉ
And almost completely fill the tins.
9. Then bake the cupcakes at 170C or 338F for about 15-17 min or until the top turn into a golden color. (☆ω☆)
☆ Honeycomb ☆
- Important: to have a baking tin or anything lined with parchment paper beforehand!
- Put the sugar and honey into a sauce pan.
- Melt the sugar and honey together until it turns into a light brown color.
- Add the baking soda quickly mix it together then pour it unto the parchment paper and let it harden. (Remember to NEVER touch melted hot sugar!)
Then you can break it into small pieces and either add it into your whipping cream or just put it on top.
“What is your favorite type of cake?”
Stay tuned for our next blog post! ^^